John Todd Co.  HOME  SERVICES  HISTORY  CONTACT John Todd Septic Company logo septic pumping and grease trap pumping family owned business since 1945 septic installation Septic Solutions Since 1945

06. Use Permits and Inspections

Are you selling your home? If you are selling a home that has a septic system, then there are a couple of things that you should know!

Since 2011, the county requires that you obtain a Use Permit for any home being sold that has a septic system. A Use Permit may also be required if you are adding 1 or more bedrooms, or if you are changing the use of the property.


What is a Use Permit and why is it needed?:

A Use Permit is needed at closing to show the buyer (and the mortgage company) that all aspects of the septic system are up to county code and functioning properly. This is to protect the buyer so that they don’t unknowingly end up purchasing a home with a failing septic system.


How do you get a Use Permit?:

In order to obtain a Use Permit, you will need to have the septic tank(s) pumped within 12 months prior to closing, and have a Certified Use Inspection done of the system.


What to expect:

The inspector will come and test all aspects of the septic system. They will need someone home to run water for them so that they can see if the lines leading from the house to the septic tank are clear and flowing properly. They will also do a load test on the leach field to determine how well it is accepting water, and take a look inside the tank to verify that it is in good condition. The inspector will be able to provide you with a report of any things that need to be brought up to code before closing. The repairs are required to be completed before closing, and a Use Permit Application needs to be turned into the County’s Health Department (with a verification of any repairs that were done). It usually takes about 3-7 business days for the county to issue the Use Permit, so make sure to give yourself some time!


Do you need repairs, but aren’t able to get them done before closing? There is an option!

It is possible to obtain a Conditional Use Permit that will suffice for closing and buy you an extra 30-60 days to get the work completed (depending on which county). An Agree to Repair form will need to be signed and notarized by the BUYER. This form states that the buyer understands that repairs are needed on the septic system, and that they are okay with having these repairs done after closing. An application will still need to be sent to the county, and a conditional permit will be issued within a couple of days. Once the repairs are completed, a certified septic contractor will need to verify that the repairs have been completed to code, and submit a verification form to the county. A Final Use Permit will then be issued for the new homeowner.


Our recommendations to help the process go smoothly:


Things you should know:


Common things that are discovered during the Use Inspection:


Do you have any further questions? Please let us know!


Thanks for reading,


Summer Rhoads

Inter-Office Coordinator


Other Topics